Over the years, I’ve gotten a few requests from folks to make my Five Minute Tips series downloadable. This makes sense for a few reasons:
- They are free!
- On YouTube, they are not ad supported or monetized.
- Some viewers face data caps.
- Streaming video is not as performant in all parts of the world.
Having said that, there are a few barriers to putting these up online “for download” in the traditional sense of the phrase:
- Bandwidth is expensive on small shared web hosting.
- Services like Dropbox frown upon you using them as a file host and will disable sharing links that they deem “abusive”.
- The size of these videos is substantial (~5GB for the Five Minute Tips & ~30GB for the Razorback series).
Based on all of the above, I’ve decided to make them available on Resilio Sync. Resilio Sync (formerly BitTorrent Sync) is essentially a file-sharing implementation of the BitTorrent P2P protocol. I’ve used it before during some data analysis work where a colleague and I needed to share ~7-10GB data files one or two times per day (we were located a couple towns away from each other). It has several advantages; we are not hammering anyone’s server, violating terms, or inundating viewers with crappy ads when using it.
Here’s the link for my public folder containing all of my Five Minute Tip videos. If you are interested in the Razorback series, you can get them as well.
If you’re familiar with Resilio Sync and simply want to add it via the read-only hashes, here they are:
- Five Minute Tips:
- Razorback Series:
This is not a “farewell dump” as far as my videos are concerned. I have not uploaded in a while, but that does not mean I’m done.